Saturday 17 March 2018

My First Time in San Francisco

(And some old photos!)





In the autumn/fall of 1980 when working for a UK tour company I was sent to San Francisco to help the local travel agency get organised for the first influx of British tourists.










What was really great was that I only worked five days a week (in Europe it was six or even seven days a week - in the high season). So I had lots of time to explore the city on the hills. I will admit that I mostly rode the cable car to get back up to my hotel after my Sunday morning stroll around Fisherman's Wharf. In those days it was a lot quieter and not many of the shops sold cheap souvenirs. My favourite lunch was lobster on sourdough bread. And it was lobster, not 'maybe' lobster mixed with mayonnaise to make it go further.


The really fun day and evening was Halloween. It began on the way to work when I was following a pair of ladies down a hill. But they were having trouble with their heels. I quickly realised that for the gay population dressing up began in the morning.


That evening there was a Gay Party at the hotel where I was staying. My friendly barmen insisted that I dress appropriately. Now with all the Miss Piggies and bearded brides to compete with what should I go as? Shirley Temple. I shortened a skirt, found a blouse, bought ankle socks, ribbon for a big bow to put on my curls and a huge lollipop. It went down a wow except that one man mistook me for a waitress! It was a fun evening especially as I met two dancers from the ballet - I did a lot of dancing.


Before leaving San Francisco the local agent made sure I went on the various tours and, for me, the best one was the nightclub trip. Following two excellent clubs, we went to the Venetian Room where top of the bill was Mr. San Francisco - Tony Bennett. Now that really was a once in a lifetime experience.




I have been back to San Francisco several times but none of those visits have come up to the thrill of my first time there.




No comments:

Post a Comment