Sunday 30 October 2016

The Island of Lewis and Harris



Breathtaking is the only word I can find to describe this tour - of one island of the Outer Hebrides. I'll let you into a secret - I would love to live in Stornoway. A small town with friendly people and within easy reach of Standing Stones, countryside and, of course, the sea.

The guide for this tour was a German lady married to a Scotsman and she loves the island. But, to the tour itself.











 






Driving across the flatlands of Lewis gave us the opportunity of distant views, but there were traffic problems. Sheep roam freely so there were frequent stops as they were either slowly ambling across the road or taking a lie down. For us photographers it was great as we were able to utilise the stopping time. Peat bogs, peat stacks, cushions of purple heather - and sheep on the moors.


The island is divided by mountains so to reach Harris it was climb up and over the pass. Then all the way down to the levels. Between the sea lochs of Ewart and Seaforth and the stupendous craggy mountains the scenery is fantastic. Unfortunately it was very difficult to try and take photographs of the Golden Eagles, but wonderful to see them soaring high in the sky.


Shopping time was in the fishing village of Tarbert. As it is a bit hilly I was unable to go and look around so confined myself to a Harris Tweed shop. Yes, I did buy something in Harris Tweed - a blue tartan cover for my Kindle. Harris Tweed is pure wool and woven by hand. Very expensive. I did see a couple of jackets and a cape which I would have loved to have bought but they were way out of my price range.






We then piled back onto the coach to go to the seaside. The first sight of Lushentyre Beach is, quite literally, breathtaking. White sand and turquoise sea which I have only ever seen before in Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula (the Gulf of Mexico side of the country).






Down the hill and around the bay we drove to Horgabost Beach. And parked. It was lovely to stroll on the soft white sand, just like icing sugar. Some people even took off their shoes and socks (not me) and one lady dipped her toes in the water. Verdict? Freezing.


Incidentally, the nearby uninhabited island of Taransay is where the BBC Television programme Castaway 2000 was film. With the surrounding scenery you can understand why.



My verdict of the tour? Definitely 5*.

No comments:

Post a Comment