Monday 10 June 2013

The Cretan Countryside

The distant mountains almost seem to be blue.


 Having chosen the wrong resort in which to spend my holiday, it was a great relief to take excursions into the beautiful countryside with its varied scenery.  The coastline has, of course, its beaches, coves and rocks and, away from the tourist centres, there are delightful villages and small towns to explore. Inland are the mountains (still a little snow on the tops in May!), tree clad hills and valleys.  Some of the towns and villages still have cobbled streets but all have their churches and town square with bars which is where, on Sundays, the men gossip while the women go to church to pray for them.  At least, that is what our guide told us!

To reach the true Cretan  countryside you have to cross the mountains from where the views are fantastic.  Behind us was the shoreline stretching from Hersonissos to Malia with the sun sparkling off the blue water.  Over the top of the pass the scenery dramatically changes.  Olive groves and vineyards, farms and market gardens.  The mountain slopes are decorated with scrub and pine trees and the vistas seem to stretch into infinity.

We stopped off to visit a potter who, in the space of about two minutes created an enormous jug.  Then took a look at his outdoor kiln and wandered in to inspect another studio where he makes smaller items and, of course, roamed the souvenir shop.  Yes, there were some beautiful things that almost tempted me but I long ago decided that I don't need any more  souvenirs.

Following that break we visited a winery - as I've visited more of these than I care to remember, I'm afraid the details of this one escape me.  I do remember using the time viewing a video about the company and the processes as an ideal time for a cat nap.  Fortunately I was awake for the  comedic part of the film - about Raki.  We were told that when offered a glass you should never refuse it.  I guess the camerman hadn't as the pictures, instead of being upright they were lopsided.  What I once heard referred to as 'skew-whiff'.  Definitely skewed - slewed.

Of course there was some wine tasting. What was the wine like?  Not being a wine buff I can only say that they weren't really to my liking.


All in all it was a very pleasant afternoon out made all the better by having a super guide - with a sense of humour.  He brought the story of Zeus into the 21st century by telling us that Zeus left Hera (his wife) and took off in his 'cloud Ferrari', then met Europa. As he really fancied her he called Hera on his mobile to say he'd be away for a while.

Foller that!




No comments:

Post a Comment